May 14, 2006

The Secret Machines

     There are 4 kinds of shows. The kind that completely rocks your socks off because either you are a super huge fan or the band surprises you to no end. Another kind of show is when you are so repulsed by the band that you feel your ears bleeding and all you can think of is "where is the fire escape?" The two medium levels are when you don't mind the music, but it's just there as background music while you mingle with others or go to the back room to play billiards. The final version of a music show is equivalent to a Secret Machines show. I stood on the upper level and bobbed my head with a big stupid smile on my face for the full hour and a half. That's right; only an hour and a half.

     I love the melodies and cool, yet uncomplicated beats they deliver; but each tune sounds vaguely like the last one. The stage is dark with bright and/or colored lights that wash over the crowd so the band can see me, but we can't really get a good look at the band. There's a skinny silhouette of a man with black leather pants and a guitar dancing around very....gayly. The keyboard player does much of the singing while the drummer seems to be lost in his own world of rhythm. There is no bassist, the keyboard player takes care of the low frequencies.

     Fun with good tunes, but far too short and the crowd was emotionally unresponsive. I realized they have not much going as far as depth goes and probably won't get much farther than their sophmore album. I don't want to short change them too much though, because as I said, I really enjoyed myself. And as similar and un-musically challenging each of their songs is, they are hypnotically fun to sing with and groove to. Plus the beer was good.



~ Drewbacca
MoviePatron.com



No comments: