May 22, 2006

Dizzy Found Me Last Night

"Let me share the ride..."
With a quick road trip, the Brothers' Robinson and the rest of The Black Crowes were once again graced by my presence as well Crowes fan die-hard, Mr. P. Wagner, at a small club in the heart of the booming metropolis, Clive, IA.

"Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz..."
Seeing a show at Val Air Ballroom was like seeing a band at the local roller skating rink. A huge, oval shaped, wooden floor with walls and a ceiling that glowed neon green and purple. A HUGE disco ball (that was, alas, never turned on) hung from the ceiling. A cafeteria/bar was spread across the entire left side of the main ballroom with seating and tables for the old folks.

Remedies consumed by this point:
White Russian
Absolut Tonic
16oz. Michelob Golden Light


The show started right on time and with one of my favorite live tunes they do: "Stare it Cold." Mellowing out right away afterwards with "Seeing Things (For the Very First Time)."

And the drink played on:
12oz. Williams Brothers Beer
12oz. Williams Brothers Beer



"If you feel like a riot, don't you deny it..."
The rest of the set played out as usual Crowes fare. "My Morning Song" (my favorite Crowes tune of all time) helped along my happy delirium. "Up on Cripple Creek" was covered for only the second time ever by the Crowes and really got everyone into the groove. The last song neither my compatriot or I knew what it was, but it was one of the best songs of the night: "Lay it All on Me." I can't wait to get a copy of this show so I can hear that one again.


Set break:
12oz. Michelob Golden Light
Bud Lite Can
Bud Lite Can


Bathroom break was a nightmare, but a security guard led me and about 20 other people out of a secret door in the back and let us urinate on the back of the building. Reason #672 to be glad I'm male.

"Powered by 100% freak power..."
Second set was a little unorthodox. Several b-sides and even cuts from the upcoming new album were given to us and the crowd ate it up. These were hard-core fans that knew the words to even the most obscure songs. But the electricity topped out during "Soul Singing" when everyone just let their vocals loose.

PW arrives at my side at some point with the following:
a can of Bud Lite
a can of Bud Lite
a can of Bud Lite
a can of Bud Lite
a can of Bud Lite
a can of Bud Lite
a smile


"Baby just you watch my head spin..."
As the tunes wore on, my memory starts to get a little hazy. I have no recollection of Jealous Again as I was trying to maintain invisibility as I peed into a plastic cup. At some point, a crazed "fan" threw a cup full of ice onstage nearly hitting Chris. Chris was understandably not amused and we could all read the verbal obscenities coming out of his mouth as he chastised this stupid kid who apparently thought he was at a Skid Row concert. After the song, Chris took to the mic to rip this kid further as the entire crowd pointed to this idiot as he tried to slink out the exit. "Your 40 years old and livin' in momma's basebent. Maybe you should move the f**k out," Chris said.

After "Wiser Time" ended, this was one of the most energetic group of fans I have ever seen at a Crowes show. The encore kicked in with "Space Captain." This pleased us as we had been clamouring and yelling for it all night. The crowd continues to rock out. After this song, I could tell things were supposed to be over, but the crowd's chanting and yelling brought them out for one more. After a quick onstage meeting, the band finally decided to jam out a tune called "Oh Well." We had an Absolut blast and am so glad we made the drive.

"Put your good foot forward..."
At some point during the show I went to find actual sustenance for my friend who I knew had not eaten all night. I got two tap beers and a huge slice of pizza. On my return trip to my spot in the crowd, I forgot there was one more small step onto the floor. I tripped and fell on my side. Saving (most of) both beers and the pizza. This didn't happen because I was a stupid fall-down drunk idiot (that doesn't happen to me); it happened simply because I don't know the venue and forgot about that last step. A girl who was standing there for some reason decided to add insult to injury and poured just a swallow her beer on my head. Why someone would do this is beyond me. Her boyfriend called her a bitch or something and helped me up (thanks dude). I made it back to my bubble of happiness among the crowd and my friend enjoyed his pepperoni.

"This room smells like hotel illness..."
After the show we retreated for more beer and a Jag-bomb at the local bar. Cabbie picks us up and we return to out hotel to trash it like the rock stars that we are, order pizza and try to hack the TV system into giving us free Mario Kart. Basically causing chaos because we can...ya know, different zip code and all.

"Woke up in a whirlwind..."
My body is stiff and my head hurts a little. Cracker Barrel, aspirin and Visine makes the morning easier.

"Another song, another mile..."
Wilco, Bob Marley and cuts from the, yet to be released, new Crowes album accompany our long journey home. Everything was fun and I definitely have stories for the week; including buying a beer and a shot at the bar, then proceeding to turn right around and walk out the door with them. I'm pretty sure that's not legal. I also don't think it's legal to bring them in the cab either...but whatever.

Complete Set List
- Set One -
Stare It Cold
Seeing Things ->
Give Peace A Chance
Soul Singing
Go Tell The Congregation
Coming Home
Sister Luck
Up On Cripple Creek
My Morning Song
Lay It All On Me


- Set Two -
Got To Get Better In A Little While
Under A Mountain
How Much For Your Wings?
You Don't Miss Your Water
Song Of Love
Unknown Jam *
Jealous Again
Wiser Time
- encore -
Space Captain
- second encore -
Oh Well


* Jammed while a PA problem was fixed.

"Mellow down easy..."
I'm going to go sleep for a week now. Have a wonderful week.



~ Drewbacca
MoviePatron.com



No comments: