February 06, 2005

Super-Bowl Thirty-something

     Wow! Patriots and Eagles. I think this was a set-up by the NFL. With our country in wartime, and it being the 60th anniversary of the end of WWII, what could be more patriotic than a Super Bowl featuring the Patriots and the Eagles? The Vikings had no chance with a conspiracy of this magnitude occurring. So really, since it was staged, who cares? It's just another football game on a Sunday right? Nope, it's all about the commercials.
     Oh wait, there are no good commercials this year thanks to Janet Jackson, Terrell Owens, Desperate Housewives, and the religious conservatives. A few dancing animals (some wearing clothes!), some guys jumping out of a plane in the name of beer, many "The Simpsons" previews, investment commercials, and who could forget the hilarity of the miracle of a baby talking with a grown man's voice? Ha ha. Made me laugh so hard, I nearly split myself. I mean, imagine! A baby talking! Quiznos never ceases to amaze me with their originality and sense of creativity.
     So all we're left with is the half-time show. Paul McCartney sings Hey Jude. Hot damn! A living legend playing a song I've only heard a million times. Fantastic. I'm already tingling with excitment at the thought of next year's "biggest sporting event of the year." Next year, after the Vikings are eliminated from the play-offs by the 10th game of the year, the NFL has promised a 180 degree turn-around in its theme. It will be a pirate theme with the Buccaneers vs the Raiders. Instead of former presidents and war heroes at pre-game, we'll have Blackbeard look-a-likes and a colorful parrot show. I can't wait.
     If you haven't detected my sarcasm in the text, here is what I really accomplished between 5:30 pm and 10pm. I finished Kirusawa's "Seven Samurai" on DVD, I ate some Doritos (new black pepper jack flavor!), I drank a beer (not Bud or Miller products), and I took a nap. I'm exhausted. I need to go to ESPN.com now and find out which team won this amazingly high-octane football game, so I can at least pretend I know what I'm talking about tomorrow around the water cooler.

1 comment:

Big Scott said...

Lol at your post. Very funny and right on the point. I did enjoy the game though. Sir Paul's was a good performance too. Also, on Quizno's commercials, whoever is in charge of their marketing dept. needs to be fired tomorrow. Their last two memorable ads to me were the singing rat type things, (that's just the image I would want to project on my sandwiches, rats, brilliance), and a creepy talking baby you'd lock in the attic and tell your family to ignore on visits.