February 22, 2005

Movie re-Views

     Just a quick note on this movie review page and my style. There is nothing flashy or particularly original about my reviews. I just like to write in the same way as if I was speaking to you at a party or at work "around the water cooler." In other words, a nationally renowned critic might write this:

     "Black Hawk Down" has such distinctive visual aplomb that its jingoism starts to feel like part of its atmosphere. Establishing mood through pictorial means is the director Ridley Scott's most notable talent. There may be no working director more accomplished at wringing texture out of the color blue than the prodigious and now prolific Mr. Scott; you'd swear that with his dazzling washes of blues and sand tones, he was inventing additional hues on the spot. Because Mr. Scott's eye delivers so much information, he then is at a loss to give the material a proper emotional grounding. "Black Hawk Down" is like Mr. Scott's "G.I. Jane" but this time with an all-boy cast.
-Elvis Mitchell (NY Times)

     What in the hell does that mean? And what if I've never seen "G.I. Jane?" Nobody gains anything by reading this fluff. Now I might write something like this:

     If you love guns and missiles and constant urban guerrilla warfare, you'll love "Black Hawk Down." Although a tad long, the action and adrenaline never stops pumping through the screen which increases the speed of the hands on your wristwatch. Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Bana, Josh Hartnet, and a whole lot of American ass-kicking (or at times getting our asses kicked) make Black Hawk Down one of the best war films I've ever seen. Ridley Scott outdoes himself with visuals and emotion that really puts you right in the action to use an old cliche. The odd "Arabian" sounding musical score adds just that extra something to walk away from the theater saying "wow! That was one awesome movie."
-Drewbacca aka Bird (Bird's Eye re-View)

     Now obviously this wouldn't be the entire review; it's a little short. But notice how I mentioned right away that if you don't like war and guns, this may not be for you. I tell you who's in it, the basic premise, and if it is worth your time and money. If you read my reviews more often, you may begin to familiarize yourself with my quirks and tastes. Then you can tell whether or not you want to see the movie I'm writing about.

     The reason people turn to me (or at least used to) for advice on movies, is just the fact that I've seen a ton of films, and I know generally what people like and don't like; especially if I know them. I also try to see everything that comes out. I see all the Oscar contenders by the time the stars walk the red carpet, and I basically enjoy seeing all types of films. From "chick-flicks" to comedies to my favorite genre, sci-fi (if it's well done sci-fi).

     The disadvantage I have is I have to pay for my movies and I also have to spend time to see them and write about them, all while balancing a job and life; whereas a pro critic does this for a living and therefore watching movies and writing about them is his job and life. So I realize that there are not many films to choose from (on the right of your screen) that I've reviewed so far, but life has picked up lately, and I promise I will see all I can and be assured that I will write about them honestly and quickly to let you know if it is worth your nine bucks. So bookmark this site now.
     Also, check back often for movie news and links to trailers (before they hit theaters) of upcoming movies that look like they might be good. I also post random rants and praises regarding sports, music, books and all walks of pop culture and science.

1 comment:

drewbacca said...

I think you missed the point Dr.

My only point was to show my style in contrast to a "pro" critic. I may have gone over-board calling his stuff fluff, but I think I was very effective in describing my style of reviewing.

Yes it was an excerpt, but so was mine. I was not reviewing the movie; simply showing how much better I am at explaining a movie to the common people "around the water cooler" as I stated.