February 12, 2005

I Take it Back

     Since Glen Taylor and the Timberwolves front office are avid readers of this website, they have decided to make a drastic, yet needed, change, after reading my last post. As of Saturday, Phil "Flip" Saunders will no longer be coaching Minnesota's NBA team. Former Celtic great and current Vice-President of Basketball Operations, Kevin McHale will take over responsibility of head coch.
     Unfortunately, I think this was a needed move. He's led us to success in the past; but anyone who continually puts Michael Olowakandi (in lieu of Griffin) on the floor for more than 3 minutes, night after night after night, obviously has no interest in advancing our team to the play-offs. Any coach who allows a team consisting of 3 former all-stars and one best player on the planet, to fumble over each other and carry negative attitudes into the press and locker room, needs to be let go. Going from first to nearly worst in one year with the exact same team (arguably even a better team) and less injury, is inexcuseable.
     So, with the current team and coach on the floor, I offer a complete and utter retraction of my previous post. The imputation was totally with basis in fact and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice. I deeply regret any inconvenience my past comment have had upon the Wolves, or their families. And I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

4 comments:

Big Scott said...

If anyone thinks McHale will do any better, they are sadly mistaken. I hope I'm wrong but this is one of the most lateral coaching changes I've ever seen. If you want a new voice, then get a new voice. Not another voice the players hear on a constant basis. Closed circuit to Phil Jackson. PLEASE!!!! It's not as cold in the winter as you think. PLEASE come and take this team out of the wilderness!
BTW, this mess they're in is ALL McHale and Taylor's fault to start with. Joe Smith. That's why they're where their at today. The two that should have been fired are the two of the three that are staying. And when we do get a draft pick, pick a player that will help us IMMEDIATELY, not ten years from now

drewbacca said...

I agree. I think we need someone new. But I also think Flip wasn't getting the job done. Someone needs to get these players in line. Yes it's the players fault for their attitudes and lack of effort. But a good coach can get plasyers beyond that and help them win. McHale probably isn't the right guy to do this, but obviously it wasn't Flip, so something had to be done. Now all we have to do is trade Cassell, Spre, and Olowakandi. Oh please let us trade Olowakandi. But who will take him at that salary!

a_equals_a said...

For my take, go to my site (shameless plug!)

www.aequalsa.blogspot.com

--Tones

Big Scott said...

But where are we next year? Coach Sam Mitchell? Oh goody... We had a revolving door of coaches before Flip. Here we go again. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it. Finish up the year with Flip, then make player changes for next year. This move buys you nothing. Does McHale actually think he can save this season? It's gone, lost, vanished, kaput, sayonora. I've decided that this ranks right up there with the multitude of bad Wolves front office moves. I realize that I've done a bit of a 180 on this, (my neck hurts) but the more I think about it the more I know McHale is not helping this franchise.