April 26, 2006

A Moment

     My friend and I went to the movies a couple of weeks ago (big shocker, I know) and as I was exiting the theater, I glanced over at the poster for the upcoming film, "United 93;" which depicts the WTC smoking in the distance.

     Also looking at the poster was a little girl and her mother. The girl must've been about 6 years old. The mother was using her finger to demonstrate the path of the planes as they struck the building. She was explaining to her daughter about what had happened that day. The little girl stood listening intently and I could swear I saw a hint of fear in her eyes. She was absolutely transfixed by her mother's story.

     It had never occurred to me that there are people in this country who don't remember that day, or don't even know about it. And here I was, watching this little girl hear about the tragedy for the very first time.

     I'm not sure what made me stop and watch, but it was "a moment" for me. This little girl was maybe one year old in September of 2001 and so had no recollection of 9/11 and no one, understandably so, had any reason to explain it to her until this point. I only caught the tail end of the conversation, so I don't know if the little girl had asked her mother what the picture was, or if the mother had decided to explain it to her since they were sitting right there anyway.

     I guess my point is, I felt a bit older that day. I can't explain why, but it was an interesting experience for me and I will never forget it. I'll never forget that little girl's expression as she was told the story I assumed (wrongfully) that we all knew.


- Drewbacca
MoviePatron.com

No comments: