April 03, 2008

Sue Me For What?

     First time for everything. I had legal action threatened against me and my colleagues at RowThree today for posting a movie trailer. I said "posting", not "hosting." The dialogue went something like this:

RowThree: Paragraphs praising how great the movie looks and how much we like Bob Hoskins, etc..

Comment #1: Please remove this video link. This video is not permitted and legal action is being taken against the person who originally uploaded it. I therefore suggest you do the same if not Target the distribution company will be in touch. I know you will understand. Thanks

Editor of the film ‘Ruby Blue’

Comment #2: Please remove this video file of Ruby Blue or I will have to inform Target Entertainment of your website who will then take legal action.

Elaine Wickham
Producer

Me: It’s a myspace video. Have them remove it.
God forbid anyone should help promote your film.
PS - The film looks beautiful and awesomely shot. Looking forward to it.


---------

Then we wrote a nice long letter to the producer ostensibly telling them to eat shit.


I'll keep you posted. Use the link above to follow the story and see the trailer.

UPDATE: After a couple of days, the producers (not surprisingly) backed down as they no legs to stand on. Not only did they take back their legal action threat and decided to go after the real culprits (MySpace), but they offered us a whole bunch of free shit. Awesome.

No comments: