April 27, 2008

Feel Free to Browse

     So I've been experimenting with a few different web browsers over the past couple of months. I got tired of IE and realized that although they've made some improvements, it just isn't as good as some others.

A very cool looking one you might not have heard of is called Space Time. A co-worker showed it to me and I played with it for about an hour before I realized it's pointless. It's "tabs" that it opens are actually separate windows all on the same screen that you can slide around and shuffle through. Kind of like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. It looks really cool but that's about it. Otherwise it's slow and hardly has any good features. If they can really tweak the hell out of it I may come back for version 2.0.

Then there was Opera. Basically a good little browser that is quick and manageable. Ultimately though, it was nothing special.

Then came Flock. I've been using Flock for about the past month and really loving it. It's still in its infancy, but the social skills are unparalleled. For those of you that utilize web 2.0, this thing kicks all sorts of ass. With sidescreens for saving images, auto-detecting media streams and RSS feeds, a social networking tool called Me.dium (allows you to track your friends and they can track and follow you as you surf around the web and chat together) and blog editor built right in, this thing is awesomeness for social networking hounds. But as I said, it's still in its infancy and has a few bugs. Just upgrading to version 1.2, things started to get sticky. It wouldn't load a couple of my sites very well and it is easily the slowest of all the browsers I used. I'm an impatient person when it comes to the net, so I just couldn't stomach it anymore. But it's one to watch in the future.

Finally I've settled on Safari over the weekend. As much as I hate to use an Apple product and prove all those self-righteous, Apple "community" lovers right, I gotta admit: Safari is a nice browser. First and foremost: it's fast. That's my number one concern and this thing is lightning quick. Second, I really like the default font - I can't figure out what it is or find it on the other browsers - I'm sure it's there, I'm just a retard sometimes. And lastly, it's very simple. Actually, almost too simple. The tool bar on top is easily customizable, but it's very bland and until you get used to exactly where things (buttons) are, they all sort of blend together. But otherwise, I'm liking it quite a bit. I also like the ease of managing my usernames and passwords for various sites that Safari provides.

So for now, I'm sticking with Safari with the occasional Flock use for checking all my RSS feeds. Hope you've enjoyed reading this fascinating post; whatever browser you're using.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait. You've never tried Firefox????? I know you're loving Safari but you have to check that out if you haven't yet.

I played with Safari last night and for some reason, the initial startup is a bit slow on my computer but once it starts, it's lightning fast. As fort he font - it's located in the preferences menu. I was playing around in there yesterday and noticed the default font though for the life of me, can't remember which one it is!

drewbacca said...

Of course I've tried Firefox. I don't like it all. It doesn't display web sites properly and runs fairly slow.

The default text in Safari claims it is Times New Roman, but it definitely is not. It's like a shorter, "pudgier" version of arial - and it overrides pages' CSS. I like that.