August 28, 2004

A Video Game Blog

     Since I was a little kid I've played video games. My mom used to give me quarters to play Pac-Man, or Donkey Kong, or Tempest while she shopped. I won an Atari 2600 at my school carnival in 1st grade. Shortly after, our family bought a Colecovision (a giant step up from the Atari), and hours and days were "wasted" moving blips around on the TV screen. At least it kept me out of my parents' hair for hours on end.
     With the high expectation (and emotion in some cases) of the upcoming Halo sequel, I thought it an appropriate time to post a top twenty list of my all-time home video games. By no means have I played every game in existence, but I do have lots of experience and knowledge of hundreds of games. I do admit that I sway more towards certain types of games (action/platform), and stray a little from other types (sports) of games. Therefore, sports games do not appear on this list as often as others, a point which I'm sure many would disagree with. I also want to stress that these are HOME video games. That is why many classic greats might not appear.

code key
NES = Nintendo Entertainment System (the original Nintendo)
SNES = Super NES
N64 = Nintendo 64
PSone = Play Station 1
PS2 = uh...
SG = Sega Genesis
GC = Game Cube (Nintendo)
GB = Game Boy

20)Myst (PC)
19)Pitfall (Atari)
18)The Sims (PC)
17)Gran Turismo (PSone)
16)Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic (Xbox)
15)Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS2)
14)Metroid(NES)
13)Super Mario Kart(SNES)
12)The Legend of Zelda(NES)
11)Mike Tyson's Punch Out!(NES)
10)Bionic Commando (NES)
9)Contra(NES)
8)Super Mario 64(N64)
7)NHLPA '93(SG)
6)Tiger Woods 2002-2004(PS2/Xbox)
5)Metroid Prime(GC)
4)Halo(Xbox)
3)Goldeneye 007(N64)
2)Super Mario Brothers(NES)
1)Grand Theft Auto III

Honorable Mention:
Mega Man 2(NES), Kid Icarus(NES), Blaster Master(NES), Tetris(GB), Mortal Combat 2(SG), Tomb Radier(PSone), RC Pro-Am(NES), Resident Evil(PSone), Lode Runner(PC), Wings of Fury (apple IIgs), Arkanoid (NES), Missile Command(Atari 2600)

Sorry to some people who love Sonic...I hate him.

Here is a quick list of Sports games that would be on many people's list:
Madden '04 or '05
Baseball Stars
Tecmo Bowl
NBA 2K1
Virtua Tennis
Slugfest

Here is a quick list of games everyone loves, I see the genius in them, but for some reason I just couldn't get into:
SOCOM
Splinter Cell
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Doom

Please, let me know what your favorite game is, or why my list sucks. Post a comment!!!


Relevant links:

Game Informer - online version of the fantastic magazine
Game Stop - pre-order and buy your new and used games here!!
IGN.com - Super-Duper game info, cheats, help, and more!!
THQ.com - more of the same...
Nintendo - official
Playstation - official
Xbox - official

2 comments:

Big Scott said...

I don't know about an all time video game, but my current favorite is Tiger Woods golf (the most recent one) on Gamecube. I'm completely addicted, and am considering selling my system just so I can get away from it for awhile. HELP!!!

drewbacca said...

I have Tiger Woods listed at #6 on my list. Helluva game. Dont sell your system just yet. TW '05 will be out this month!! Check it out at gameinformer.com